x Racetrack-News: Sachsenring Saturday

Samstag, 13. Juli 2013

Sachsenring Saturday



Rossi Returns to the Front Row
Yamaha Factory Racing’s Valentino Rossi made a welcome return to the front row of the grid in third position today in qualifying for Sunday’s Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland. The quick fire 15minute session proved to be the best qualifying performance by the Italian nine-time Champion since Le Mans over two years ago, his last appearance on the front row.


Rossi wrapped up the fourth free practice prior to qualifying as the fastest rider with the second fastest lap of the weekend so far, a 1’21.978 lap. He then carried that speed straight through to qualifying, slotting straight into third position on his second lap with a 1’22.44. He stepped up the pace immediately and slotted into the top spot only to be knocked down to second a few seconds later by Cal Crutchlow. With seven minutes remaining Rossi made a pit stop for fresh rubber and returned to the track. Another flying lap saw him secure third and a front row start with a 1’21.493, just 0.182 seconds from pole.


Valentino Rossi 3rd / 1'21.493 / 10 laps
"I’m very happy, from one side not a lot because the first position was very close but the target was to come back to the front row and I was able to. I was able to do it in a good way because I did a good lap riding well and also my gap to pole position is very close which is very important. I feel good with the bike, I have a good setting and I have quite a good pace also. Now we have to put everything together for tomorrow and try to slide the rear a bit less. I am a bit worried about the second part of the race; that will be very hard for everybody. If we want to stay with Marc we have to make a small improvement for tomorrow. Anyway, I am so happy, the last front row for me was in 2010 in Le Mans, a long, long time ago. Tomorrow it will be a strange feeling to have nobody in front!

For Jorge it is a great pity because he made a small mistake and unfortunately landed on the wrong shoulder. After what he did in Assen he was very close to a superhero. It’s a pity also for his championship but now I think he’s made the right choice to take some quiet time to recover. For him the Championship will be hard but still not impossible before the end.”


Massimo Meregalli - Yamaha Factory Racing Team Director
“Today was an important first row for Vale, we know he is capable of starting from the front so it’s good to see him do this. I think his speed and pace is pretty good which gives us confidence for tomorrow. It’s not going to be an easy race, it’s going to be long and really tough but I think we are ready for it. Fortunately Jorge’s surgery went really well which is another important point from today. We miss having him here challenging for victory this weekend but he has made the right choice to recover as fully as possible. We wish him all the best and we wait for him to return even stronger than before.”

Crutchlow bounces back to claim stunning front row in Germany
Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team rider Cal Crutchlow showed tremendous mental and physical resilience today to secure a stunning place on the front row of the grid for the eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland. Battered and bruised after two high-speed crashes in practice yesterday, the British rider demonstrated his phenomenal fighting spirit to claim second position in this afternoon’s qualifying session at the tight and twisty Sachsenring.

The 27-year-old is nursing numerous cuts, bruises and friction burns after a physically punishing start to the eighth round of the 2013 World Championship campaign. Far from being in peak physical shape today, Crutchlow managed to brush off the aches and pains to this morning to finish sixth overall in practice. With his confidence and feeling on Yamaha's YZR-M1 restored in advance of the 15-minute qualifying session, Crutchlow put up another terrific fight for pole position.

He led the session with a 1.21.640 and a brilliant late burst of speed saw him improve his pace to a 1.21.434. That put him only 0.123s behind Marc Marquez, who denied Crutchlow a second successive premier class pole position. Crutchlow certainly won’t be back to 100% fitness in time for tomorrow’s 30-lap race but his pace throughout a difficult weekend means he is optimistic he can mount a serious challenge for a fourth podium of the season.

Bradley Smith enjoyed another positive and productive day and he managed to improve his pace by almost 0.5s in the decisive qualifying session. A best lap of 1.22.758 secured him a top 10 finish in practice and in full time attack mode in qualifying he was able to drop his pace down to a 1.22.297 that secured him seventh position on the grid. Smith was just over 0.9s off pole position and a second successive start from inside the top six only eluded the 22-year-old by 0.140s. Smith’s main objective in tomorrow’s race will be a fast start, with the tight and twisty Sachsenring track hard to overtake on as the British rider goes in search of a sixth straight top six finish in his impressive rookie MotoGP season.


Cal Crutchlow 2nd – 1.21.434 – 10 laps:
“I am really pleased to be back on the front row after all the drama of yesterday. They were two really big crashes in practice and my body took a bit of beating to be honest. The first crash was completely my fault because I made a mistake on the brakes but the second was because the front tyre was cold. It was definitely my worst day of the season, so to put all that behind me and get a front row when I am not close to my physical best is a great achievement. When I woke up this morning I didn’t feel that great because my body took a big impact in a few places. I wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to ride and just to be out there is great. It is going to be a very difficult race in my condition but I will be giving it my all to get another podium. Today was a great result for my Monster Yamaha Tech 3 crew. I gave them plenty of work to do yesterday but they did a great job and as always I am grateful for their efforts.”

Bradley Smith 7th 1.22.297 – 10 laps:
“Seventh position is a great result and to do a 1.22.2 was a bit of surprise. We still need to work a bit more on my confidence and understand the Bridgestone tyres a bit better. They work really well at this track and it is a case of understanding how much you can push them. For the race tomorrow the start will be so important. The track is so tight and twisty that the first three laps will be vital to achieving a good result. Hopefully we can improve the bike but I feel for the full race distance we are in a good position and I am happy with the set-up. I just need to make sure we can put in a consistent pace because it will be a very long race.”


2013 MotoGP Germany
Sachsenring 13/07/2013


Circuit Length:
3671

Weather:
Dry

Lap Record:
1'21.846
(Daniel Pedrosa, 1-1-2011)

Fastest Lap Ever:
1'21.067
(Casey Stoner, 13-7-2008)

Last Years Winner:
Daniel Pedrosa


---

Second place for Luis Salom despite shortened track time
Red Bull KTM Ajo rider will make front row start tomorrow, despite not completing qualifying due to mechanical problems. Zulfahmi Khairuddin and Arthur Sissis will take off from twelfth and fiftteenth, respectively.

13/07/2013 - Sachsenring

The Red Bull KTM Ajo rider this afternoon achieved a creditable second position on the starting grid for tomorrow's German Grand Prix. With 5 minutes remaining and on his first lap on new tyres, mechanical problems prevented him from finishing the session. After feeling very comfortable in the morning, Zulfahmi Khairuddin and Arthur Sissis concluded the day with twelfth and fifteenth place.
The Red Bull KTM Ajo team had taken excellent results in the last free practice session of the weekend. The good feeling from yesterday continued, with Luis Salom setting a new lap record of 1:27.013 at the head of the timesheets and Arthur Sissis fourth with a best lap of 1:27.614. Like his teammates, Zulfahmi Khairuddin also lowered his times from yesterday and concluded eleventh fastest, setting a lap of 1:28.223.
In the main course of the day, Red Bull KTM Ajo riders kept up their good form.  Luis Salom was quickly amongst the frontrunners, but had to save a crash when out on new tyres and suffering mechanical problems. The Spaniard was thus second fastest, setting a best time of 1:27.840. Zulfahmi Khairuddin, twelfth (1:28.047), came up to traffic late on, whilst Arthur Sissis, took fifteenth position (1:28.089).
The eighth Moto3 race of the season will be held tomorrow from 11am local time and Luis Salom will look to score his fourth consecutive victory –a feat that no rider has achieved in the Moto3 class thus far.

Results (Qualifying practice)
1. Alex Rins (KTM) 1:27.300
2. Luis Salom (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:27.480 +0.180
3. Miguel Oliveira (Mahindra) 1:27.559 +0.259
4. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 1:27.579 +0.279
5. Jack Miller (FTR Honda) 1:27.599 +0.299
12. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:28.047  +0.747
15. Arthur Sissis (Red Bull KTM Ajo) 1:28.089  +0.789



Luis Salom:
"I was lucky to make a save on the corner where we had the incident. It's a shame, because it was the first lap on new tyres, we knew we could push hard and did not have time to use them to the fullest. I'm happy with the time anyway, although we could probably have lowered it. The most important thing is that this morning we did a lap in 1:27.0, I had a very good pace, just like yesterday, so we can be happy about tomorrow. The work has been very good so far. I guess the race will be like the last one, with a large group at the front and very difficult."


Arthur Sissis:

"It was a very positive morning. I was feeling good and riding with a very steady pace in the morning session. In qualifying we made a few small adjustments to the setup, but I noticed them more than I expected. That's why, when we put the new tyres on, I was unable to push to the maximum. Tomorrow we will use the settings we had in the third free practice, because I have a better feeling with that and I can run a higher pace. I’ll see if I can finish in the top five, but we'll see, because my pace today was pretty good. I have confidence about this race."


 Zulfahmi Khairuddin:

"The qualifying session went well, I had a good feeling from the beginning to the end. In the last part of the session we put a new tyre on the rear and I managed to find more grip, but I ran into a group of riders on the track and couldn’t get a clean lap in. In any case, it was a good day and I did a 1.28, although I think a 1.27 was possible without traffic. Tomorrow I hope to be in the leading group, I have to focus on the race and I have a lot of confidence in both the team and myself."

--

 Newsletter 13.07.2013


Day two at the Sachsenring was a challenging one for Andrea Iannone. A few minutes after the start of FP4, the Italian went long in turn 1, losing the control of his bike and crashing. Upon returning to the garage, he has immediately brought to the Clinica Mobile, where Dr. Costa and his staff promptly intervened and diagnosed a dislocated right shoulder. Both the X-ray and the scan gave negative results for fractures, but at the moment, Iannone’s recovery time is unknown.

It was an unexpected end to the day for Iannone and his T.I. Energy Pramac Racing Team, as the weekend had begun positively, and the modifications made to the bike were immediately achieving positive results, making the chances of a good grid position seem promising.

The work in the garage proceeds while the team awaits tomorrow’s final decision.

Andrea Iannone – Energy T.I. Pramac Racing Team
“I'm sorry for how it went because I felt good and we were doing a good job with the team. It might be the first weekend when every change we made has led to a small step forward that I could immediately notice. The bike has consistently responded pretty well, so I was happy. I started FP4 while I was trying a little change. I was having a good lap, even though I wasn’t really pushing too hard, and although the tyre already had 14 laps on it, I was close to my best time. Then I fell, and I'm really disappointed; I thought I could do a good race tomorrow because we’ve focused a lot on the pace, also during the test at Misano. We were getting interesting results, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to finish the work we’d planned. I'll try to be there tomorrow, but I don’t want to compromise the work we’ve done and that we still have to do. I want to thank the team and all the Clinica Mobile because they’re always helping me during these difficult moments.”


---

eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland

Sachsenring - Qualifying

Fantastic pole for Marquez but despair for Pedrosa after giant high side crash
  

It's been another day of mixed fortunes for the Repsol Honda Team at the GP of Germany. Rookie Marc Marquez took his third pole position of the season and his third successive pole here at Sachsenring, but unfortunately his teammate Dani Pedrosa suffered a huge crash in this morning's FP3 session and didn't take part in qualifying.
 

Dani, was on the first flying lap of his second exit when he had a huge high side crash in turn one with the bike tossing him into the air. He landed heavily on his left shoulder and also hit his head very hard. He was taken to the medical centre and later flew to Chemnitz Hospital for a CAT scan and additional checks. It has now been confirmed that he didn't suffer and concussion but there is a small fracture in his left clavicle (collar bone). The circuit medical staff have declared him fit to race, subject to a further medical check tomorrow morning at 08h20. If he is able to race, his time from FP1 would be used placing him in 12th position.
 


Marc Marquez 

1st


1'21.311
"I'm very happy with this pole position. It's important to start from the front row at this circuit, since it's quite difficult to overtake! I felt very comfortable, especially after the pace I had in FP4. In qualifying I struggled a little to get the most out of the bike, but things went better on our second exit. I think we have done a great job and we will try to do our best, have a good race and fight for the podium, and with a little luck for the victory. After I saw Dani's crash this morning I was definitely a little more cautious going through turn one. I really hope he recovers quickly and can race tomorrow. It will be a difficult race, because Valentino will be fighting also Stefan and Cal, if he's okay physically, will be up there as well"


Dani Pedrosa

12th


1'22.221 (FP1)
"It was definitely a scary moment and I'm still not totally sure what happened. I hit my head hard and immediately felt a lot of pain in my shoulder and I checked to see if I could feel anything. Thankfully in the medical centre they saw it wasn't broken but maybe a small fracture, and I was also feeling very dizzy but never lost consciousness. Just to be safe, we flew to Chemnitz Hospital for a CAT scan and then returned to Clinica Mobile at the circuit. They confirmed I had a small fracture in my left collar bone but I am thankful it wasn't a complete break. Now I will rest tonight and see how I feel in the morning. If I feel strong enough I will have the medical check to clear me for the race" 

---
  
Hard fought ninth row for Niklas Ajo
Avant Tecno KTM rider takes twenty-fifth best time in qualifying session for the German Grand Prix, riding with an injured right wrist.

13/07/2013 - Sachsenring
Niklas Ajo today continued one of his most difficult weekends so far this season. With a small fracture in his right wrist, the Avant Tecno KTM rider managed to lower his lap times in each session, qualifying twenty-fifth for the German GP with a 1:28.671 time. The position puts him on the ninth row of the grid.
The young Finn tried to focus on his work and put his injured right wrist to the back of his mind in the third free practice session of the weekend. The results were satisfactory, as in the initial part of the session he was in the top fifteen. At the end of the run he managed to reduce his time from Friday by over seven-tenths (1:28.914) and take 21st.

Despite continuous pain in his right wrist, the Avant Tecno KTM rider was able to improve constantly. In the qualifying practice, a personal best lap of 1:28.671 on his fourteenth of eighteen times around the Sachsenring put Niklas on the ninth row of the grid.

Heading into tomorrow's race (11:00am local time), Niklas Ajo will fight for a top fifteen finish  that he has achieved every time he has visited Germany in the World Championship.
 

Results (Qualifying practice)
1. Alex Rins (KTM) 1:27.300
2. Luis Salom (KTM) 1:27.480 +0.180
3. Miguel Oliveira (Mahindra) 1:27.559 +0.259
4. Jonas Folger (Kalex KTM) 1:27.579 +0.279
5. Jack Miller (FTR Honda) 1:27.599 +0.299
25. Niklas Ajo (Avant Tecno KTM) 1:28.671 +1.371



"My wrist still hurts when I'm riding. I need to have injections for it to not hurt as much, but although at first the pain itself was less,  it intensified as the laps went on. I suffered a lot. I rode the best I could on the bike, and just tried to find the best feeling for the race tomorrow. I hope to complete it in the best possible position."

---

Motorrad-Weltmeisterschaft / Moto3 / Sachsenring / 13.07.2013

Der Blick geht nach vorne

Die letzte Chance des Wochenendes ist das Rennen

Kiefer Racing sieht das Rennen zum Großen Preis von Deutschland für Motorräder, der Klasse Moto3 auf dem Sachsenring, als letzte Chance das Wochenende noch mit einem Erfolg zu schmücken. Mit den Trainingsplatzierungen 27 für Toni Finsterbusch und 34 für Florian Alt gibt man sich jedenfalls noch nicht zufrieden

Auf dem Sachsenring sieht man einmal mehr, dass man sich bei diesem Kurs und den damit verbundenen, sehr engen Zeitabständen nicht den kleinsten Fehler erlauben darf. Es ist zwar der HeimGP des Teams, da man aber die Strecke nicht als Testrecke nominiert hat, ist der Heimvorteil auch nicht wirklich vorhanden. Nach dem ernüchternden Ergebnis des heutigen Tages wird man nun die ganze Kraft auf ein hoffentlich erfolgreiches Rennen legen.


Toni Finsterbusch, 27. Platz in 1:28.702 min.:
"Ich bin nicht wirklich zufrieden. Anfangs kam ich auf keine schnelle Zeit und habe es dann alleine versucht, war aber zu sehr verkrampft. Als ich mit neuen Reifen raus ging hatte ich das Gefühl langsamer zu sein, war aber doch schneller. Das war einfach nicht zufriedenstellend. Wir sind mit der Rundenzeit zwar nicht weit weg, aber die Ausgangslage für das Rennen ist schlecht. Das Ziel für morgen ist klar: Möglichst am Start an die Top 20 heranzukommen und sich dann Runde für Runde nach vorne zu arbeiten. Mein Blick geht nach vorne, denn hinten ist kaum noch was."

Florian Alt, 34. Platz in 1:29.437 min.:
"Klar, die Position als auch die Zeit sind nicht gut. Aber im Vergleich zu den vorherigen Rennen habe ich den Rückstand auf die Spitze verkürzt und könnte damit zufrieden sein. Aber die Startposition ist halt überhaupt nicht gut. Als ich die Zeit hinter einem anderen Fahrer fuhr dachte ich noch die Zeit ist jetzt nicht schnell. Aber es war trotzdem meine schnellste Runde. Für das Rennen muss ich schauen, da kann alles passieren. Ich möchte versuchen, dass ich ein gutes Gefühl habe. Im Feld hinter den anderen hinterher zu fahren dürfte nicht so schwer sein als im Qualifying alleine eine schnelle Zeit herauszupressen."

Stefan Kiefer, Teammanager:
"Nicht zufriedenstellend ist unser bisheriges Fazit für dieses Wochenende. Bei Toni fing es eigentlich ganz gut an, aber in den Trainings haben wir trotzdem nicht das erreicht was wir uns für den Heim GP vorgenommen hatten. Damit müssen wir jetzt leben. Wir haben jetzt noch einen Chance, nämlich die, dass wir uns im Rennen verbessern."

Ergebnis Samstag:
1. Alex Rins / SPA / KTM / 1:27.300 min.
2. Luis Salom / SPA / KTM / + 0.180 sek.
3. Miguel Oliveira / POR / Mahindra / + 0.259 sek.

27. Toni Finsterbusch / GER / Kalex-KTM / + 1.402 sek.
34. Florian Alt / GER / Kalex-KTM / + 2.137 sek.


---

Pressemitteilung
Team Interwetten Paddock

Motorrad-Weltmeisterschaft / Moto2 / Sachsenring / 13.07.2013

Schlussfeuerwerk im Qualifying:
Tom Lüthi erkämpft Startplatz vier 
Mit einem fantastischen Endspurt in der Qualifikation zum Grand Prix von Deutschland auf dem Sachsenring sicherte sich Team Interwetten Paddock-Star Tom Lüthi den vierten Startplatz in der Moto2-Klasse. Im dritten und letzten Run konnte der 26jährige mit frischen Reifen nochmals deutlich zulegen, verbesserte sich um rund eine halbe Sekunde und blieb mit seiner Zeit von 1.24,840 Minuten nur um 0,175 Sekunden hinter dem Belgier Xavier Simeon auf der Pole Position zurück. Obwohl Lüthi für diese Rundenzeit alles auf eine Karte setzte, ist er zuversichtlich, auch im Rennen am Sonntag um die Top-Platzierungen mitkämpfen zu können. Nach den Getriebeproblemen am ersten Trainingstag, an dem mehrmals der sechste Gang heraussprang, erhielt das Team Interwetten Paddock einen neuen Motor. Seither läuft Lthis Suter MMX2 wieder einwandfrei.


Tom Lüthi – 4. in 1.24,840 min.:
Mein Rhythmus war schon zu Anfang der Qualifikation nicht schlecht, ich bin aber während den ersten beiden Exits bei einer Rundenzeit von 1.52,3 Minuten angestanden: Daraufhin musste ich schauen, wie ich mich verbessern konnte. Wir haben das Set-Up noch in einigen Details angepasst und haben dann einen neuen Hinterreifen montiert. Der zusätzliche Grip hinten hat mir definitiv geholfen. Vor allem aber habe ich bei meinem letzten, entscheidenden Run noch mehr Risiko draufgepackt, habe probiert, die Bremse noch einen Tick früher zu lösen und noch einen Tick früher ans Gas zu gehen. Das hat gut geklappt, und dann war die Zeit da. Unsere Grundlage fürs Rennen stimmt, vor allem, weil ich nicht denke, dass die Pace so hoch sein wird wie im Qualifying. Ich denke auch nicht, dass vorne jemanden abhauen kann. Es wird sich eher eine Gruppe bilden, und dann wird es darum gehen, in dieser Gruppe mitzufahren. Mein Gefühl für die komplette Renndistanz ist gut, ich bin zuversichtlich. Auch körperlich geht es mir immer besser. Wie in den Trainings werde ich auch im Rennen ohne Schmerzmittel antreten. Ich spüre die Verletzung im rechten Ellbogen schon noch, doch der Sachsenring belastet vor allem den linken Arm, und zwar so sehr, dass ich jetzt, nach vier Trainings, richtig Muskelkater im linken Arm habe. Der Vorteil ist, dass ich meinen rechten Arm während dieser Belastungsphasen etwas entspannen kann!

Daniel M. Epp - Teambesitzer:
Es waren zwei schwierige Trainingstage, und wir sind uns auch jetzt noch nicht völlig sicher über die optimale Rennabstimmung. Das Positive ist, dass sich Tom von Rennwochenende zu Rennwochenende körperlich besser fühlt. Heute ging es ihm bereits so gut, dass er die letzten paar Runden alles auf eine Karte setzen konnte und voll angegriffen hat. Deshalb konnte er den vierten Startplatz erreichen. Fürs Rennen sind wir erstmals in diesem Jahr bei den Leuten, Tom steht zum ersten Mal seit seiner Verletzung auf einem vorderen Startplatz!


Ergebnis Samstag:
1. Xavier Simeon / BEL / Kalex / 1:24.655 min.
2. Jordi Torres / SPA / Suter / + 0,013 sek.
3. Pol Espargaro / SPA / Kalex / + 0.039 sek.

4. Tom Lüthi / SUI / Suter / + 0.175 sek.


--

Simeon secures his first ever Grand Prix pole position with a thrilling ride
Xavier Simeon (Desguaces La Torre Maptaq Kalex) scored his first ever Grand Prix pole position with a thrilling ride in the Honda-powered Moto2 class qualifying session. The Belgian, who scored his first GP podium at May’s French GP, bettered Jordi Torres (Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2 Suter) by little more than one hundredth of a second. Pol Espargaro (Tuenti HP40 Pons Kalex) was a close third fastest, with the front row covered by just 0.175 seconds.

The Moto2 grid is always tightly packed but more so than usual at this track, because the lap is short and the circuit layout is tight. Due to those two factors the top 25 riders are separated by just 1.219 seconds, suggesting close and frantic racing tomorrow.

Row two is led by fourth-fastest Thomas Luthi (Interwetten Paddock Suter), his best qualifying performance since returning from injury at the Spanish GP. The Swiss ace will start tomorrow’s race alongside Simone Corsi (NGM Mobile Racing Speed Up), with Julian Simon (Italtrans Racing Team Kalex) completing the row.

Takaaki Nakagami (Italtrans Racing Team Kalex) heads the third row, two weeks after crashing and breaking his left collarbone at Assen. The Japanese had the break plated and is already back to full speed. World Championship leader Scott Redding (Marc VDS Racing Team Kalex) had a difficult qualifying after topping yesterday’s times. The Briton ended up eighth, albeit less than the tenths off pole. He will start the race between Nakagami and team-mate Mika Kallio (Marc VDS Racing Team Kalex)

Moto2 rider quotes

Xavier Simeon, Desguaces La Torre Maptaq: pole position, 1m 24.665s
“I didn’t expect to be on pole – I was expecting anywhere on the first two rows. I’ve had a good pace from the start of the weekend and at the end of qualifying I tried to concentrate very hard for a good lap. The race will be very different, however, but we have a good pace and I think we can be there.”

Jordi Torres, Mapfre Aspar Team Moto2: 2nd, 1m 24.678s
“I’m very happy with my first front-row start because I feel very good on the bike. I have really good feeling from the tyres and that’s really important. A big thank you to my team because they work harder and harder for me.”

Pol Espargaro, Tuenti HP40 Pons: 3rd, 1m 24.704s
“This track is so short that all the riders are very close. I’m very happy to be on the front row, with Scott [Redding] on the third row, so we have a good opportunity to recover some more points. I have a good rhythm and feel confident with my bike. Now we have to wait for the race but I know it will be tough. Anyway, I’m happy to be fit and feeling confident.”

Another strong Moto3 qualifyingfor Miller with his fifth second-row start
Jack Miller (Caretta Technology – RTG FTR Honda) had another strong Moto3 qualifying, scoring his fifth second-row start from the first eight races. The Australian teenager was in fine form, using the sweet handling of his FTR Honda around this tight and twisty track to qualify less than three tenths of a second off pole. And he believes he could have been even closer to the front if he hadn’t been held up by slower riders on his final lap.

Romano Fenati (San Carlo Team Italia FTR Honda) also enjoyed today’s Moto3 session, achieving his best qualifying performance of the year and is first third-row start, in eighth place. The Italian teenager was just 0.510 seconds off pole.

Third fastest Honda rider was Spaniard Isaac Vinales (Bimbo Ongetta-Centro Seta FTR Honda) in 11th and just ahead of Niccolo Antonelli (GO&FUN Gresini FTR Honda) in 13th, Brad Binder (Ambrogio Racing Suter Honda) in 14th and Lorenzo Baldassarri (GO&FUN Gresini FTR Honda) in 16th.

Honda Moto3 Rider quotes

Jack Miller, Caretta Technology – RTG: 5th, 1m 27.599s
“That wasn’t so bad, though I lost some time on my last lap when I was behind [Maverick] Vinales and [Efren] Vazquez. They were going at it like it was the last lap of the race and I couldn’t get by without messing us all up. We’ve tried quite a few different things today and I can’t complain about fifth – it’s another strong second row for us. It’s very close at the front, so I think it’ll be a big group and a hard fight in the race. We’ve got a new, stiffer swingarm from FTR here. I’m a bigger rider, so it gives me more feedback. We tried a softer swingarm at Catalunya, just to give us a direction, and it had too much twang. Not we’ve gone in a the opposite direction and it’s the right way. Yesterday we had our usual swingarm and the bike was moving around more than I like; now we’ve fitted the stiffer swingarm I’ve got more confidence in the tyres.”

Romano Fenati, San Carlo Team Italia: 8th, 1m 27.810s
“I’m very happy. The team and I worked hard and were able to make the most of the softer tyres. Starting closer to the front will be a huge help during the race. We will start with the right spirit to try and get our best result of the year.”

Isaac Vinales, Bimbo Ongetta-Centro Seta: 11th, 1m 27.954s
“I’m happy because I managed to ride very fast, only six tenths of a second behind [Alex] Rins who got pole. However, we had some problems with rear grip, so I couldn’t go any faster. The lap times of the top 15 riders are really tight, I am very motivated to try and get a good result in the race tomorrow.”

---

eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland

Report Day 2
Sat, 13 July 2013

Marquez on pole as Pedrosa joins injury list

Marc Marquez has collected his third MotoGP™ pole position for this weekend’s eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland. As injured title rivals Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa both couldn’t take part after crashes, the Repsol Honda Team rider beat Monster Yamaha Tech 3’s Cal Crutchlow and Yamaha Factory Racing’s Valentino Rossi.
Since practice action commenced on Friday, a number of incidents have been witnessed at the Sachsenring, not least for title-holder Lorenzo and current championship leader Pedrosa who both have injured left collarbones after highside crashes. Lorenzo will miss at least this race, whereas in Pedrosa’s case it remains to be seen as to whether he will be able to re-join the action on Sunday.
Marquez’s lap of 1’21.311 was within three tenths of a second of Casey Stoner’s best ever lap of the Sachsenring – which had been achieved in the era of qualifying tyres in 2008 – as he stormed to his third pole, after Texas and Le Mans. Crutchlow will start inside the top two for the third race in succession, despite two heavy falls on Friday which have left the Englishman in pain, while the front row start for Rossi is his first in 988 days; his last had been at the Portuguese Grand Prix of 2010.
Row 2 is headed up by LCR Honda MotoGP’s Stefan Bradl at his home event, whereas a top five result came thanks to a stunning effort from Aleix Espargaro on the Power Electronics Aspar CRT machine. Ducati Team will line up sixth and ninth, far better than Nicky Hayden and Andrea Dovizioso had expected, whereas Tech 3’s Bradley Smith and GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Alvaro Bautista will fill slots seven and eight. Pedrosa was classified 12th, but was unable to take part in qualifying.
Highly impressive performances from Danilo Petrucci and Claudio Corti saw the pair of Italians topping Q1 and thus headed into the Q2 shootout for the first time; Corti will start tenth on the grid for NGM Mobile Forward Racing, whereas Petrucci experienced a technical issue in Q2 and will set off from 11th for Came IodaRacing Project.
At the back of the grid and in 23rd place will be Energy T.I. Racing’s Andrea Iannone, who dislocated his right shoulder in a crash during the final practice session. Hector Barbera (Avintia Blusens, 14th) was also in discomfort after twisting his right ankle in morning practice, whereas GO&FUN Honda Gresini’s Bryan Staring was left 22nd fastest after suffering a large highside on the exit of Turn 3.
MotoGP™ Qualifying Practice Classification
1- Marc Marquez
SPA
Honda
1:21.311
2- Cal Crutchlow
GBR
Yamaha
1:21.434
3- Valentino Rossi
ITA
Yamaha
1:21.493

1st CRT
5- Aleix Espargaro
SPA
ART
1:21.887


Belgium’s Xavier Simeon has claimed his first ever pole position for the Moto2™ eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland. An impressive last-gasp lap for the Desguaces La Torre Maptaq rider saw him demote Aspar Team Moto2’s Jordi Torres and Tuenti HP 40’s Pol Espargaro, as only 39 thousandths of a second covered the leading trio.
Simeon - who finished on the podium at the French Grand Prix earlier this season - grabbed Saturday’s pole with his best effort of 1’24.665, also achieving his first ever front row start. Torres was denied by the narrow margin of 13 thousandths of a second, while Espargaro’s third place means he will start five positions ahead of title rival and current championship leader Scott Redding (Marc VDS Racing Team).
Row 2 will be filled by the still recovering Tom Luthi (Interwetten Paddock Moto2 Racing), Simone Corsi (NGM Mobile Racing) and Julian Simon (Italtrans Racing Team), while Simon’s teammate Takaaki Nakagami will head up the third row from Redding, whose own best lap missed pole by just under three tenths of a second.
The top ten was completed by eight-time Sachsenring podium finisher Alex de Angelis, who next weekend will be competing in the premier MotoGP™ class at Laguna Seca. In 23rd place, Tuenti HP 40’s Tito Rabat struggled to make an impression due to a twisted left ankle sustained in a crash during final practice.
Simeon’s result is the first pole position for a Belgian rider - in any class of the World Championship - for 24 years since. The last came courtesy of Didier de Radigues at the 250 Belgian Grand Prix of 1989, staged at Spa-Francorchamps.
Moto2™ Qualifying Practice Classification
1- Xavier Simeon
BEL
Kalex
1:24.665
2- Jordi Torres
SPA
Suter
1:24.678
3- Pol Espargaro
SPA
Kalex
1:24.704


Alex Rins has achieved pole position for the Moto3™ eni Motorrad Grand Prix Deutschland. The Spaniard’s third pole of the season will see him share the front row with the championship leader, Red Bull KTM Ajo’s Luis Salom whose challenge was halted by an engine problem, and Mahindra Racing’s Miguel Oliveira.
The early surprise of the afternoon was an error from one front-running favourite, as home rider Jonas Folger crashed his Mapfre Aspar Team Moto3 bike at Turn 11. He was able to re-join the action in the late stages, sealing fourth spot on the grid. Rins’ pole came in the form of 1’27.300, with Salom staying second despite having had to pull off the circuit; his leading lap time from final practice remains the quickest so far.
Oliveira - who was on pole last time out at Assen - collects his third consecutive front row start, whereas Team Calvo’s Maverick Viñales could not make the most of Salom’s difficulties and went off-track at Turn 1. He will start sixth, behind Folger and Caretta Technology – RTG’s Jack Miller on the second row.
Second Mahindra rider Efren Vazquez will line up seventh from San Carlo Team Italia’s Romano Fenati, RW Racing GP’s Jasper Iwema – enjoying his best Moto3 qualifying position to date, in ninth - and Alex Marquez, who ensures that Estrella Galicia 0,0 are bookending the top ten.
A late fall for Folger’s teammate Eric Granado left the Brazilian 31st, four positions ahead of Jules Danilo who covers for the injured Danny Webb at Ambrogio Racing.
Moto3™ Qualifying Practice Classification
1- Alex Rins
SPA
KTM
1:27.300
2- Luis Salom
SPA
KTM
1:27.480
3- Miguel Oliveira
POR
Mahindra
1:27.559




Text und Fotos: Teams und Dorna.com